SubjectRe: [RFC] fix devpts mount behavior
Quoting Kay Sievers (kay.sievers@vrfy.org):
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 23:02, Serge E. Hallyn <serge@hallyn.com> wrote:
> > Quoting Eric W. Biederman (ebiederm@xmission.com):
>
> >> It looks like relatively recent udev still creates /dev/ptmx and does
> >
> > Boy, it does, and it's stubborn about it.  Removing the /lib/udev/rules.d
> > entry doesn't stop it.  (this is after I've had an init job replace the
> > devtmpfs-created ptmx entry with a symlink)
>
> Udev has nothing to do with that. The kernel creates that device node.
> Udev does not carry any rules you could remove, to name device nodes,
> it only set permissions and creates symlinks to device nodes.

That's odd, because I was sure I deleted the node after the kernel created
it.

But it sounds like I must have done it wrong.

> It will never replace a kernel-created device node with a symlink,
> there is no way to express that. If you don't want a device node
> there, you need to change the kernel, to not export
> /sys/class/tty/ptmx/ the way it is today.
>
> > So current distros (well, Ubuntu and Fedora at least) would need to at least
> > (a) fix udev,
>
> To do what?

Nothing, as I'm sure you're right above :)

> > (b) change the default devpts mount (done from initramfs) to
> > add ptmxmode=666,
>
> > (c) (if not done in udev) create the /dev/ptmx symlink.
>
> Udev can only create symlinks to devices the driver-core creates, not
> to devices inside a custom filesystem.

I see.

> > For safety I'd recommend creating /dev/pts/ptmx with
> > DEVPTS_MULTIPLE_INSTANCES=n (or dropping that support), and by default
> > setting ptmxmode to 666 as that's what udev does.
>
> The mode for ptmx is set by the kernel itself, and does not even need
> udev to do that:
> $ cat /sys/class/tty/ptmx/uevent
> MAJOR=5
> MINOR=2
> DEVNAME=ptmx
> DEVMODE=0666

That has nothing to do with /dev/pts/ptmx, whose perms are set based on
the '-o ptmxmode=" argument, and default to 000 if not specified. If
/dev/ptmx is going to be a symlink to /dev/pts/ptmx, then we have to set
the /dev/pts/ptmx perms to not be 000, or users won't be able to create
ptys.

-serge