    SubjectHow to "register" a GSI for a non PCI non ISA device

    I'm building a PC platform with additional non-PCI and non-ISA devices:
    they are basically simple telecom chipsets connected to an SPI and an
    old school parallel bus (Intel LEB bus) and GPIO pins that can be used
    as interrupts through the IO APIC which exposes 40 GSI. From the point
    of view of the software the SPI, LEB, and GPIO are provided by PCI
    devices (in reality they are embedded controllers in an Intel SoC
    80579). Anyway I'm not sure the additional GSI are described anywhere
    in whatever black magic ACPI / legacy BIOS table they could be
    (but I've complete control over the FW, so I can had whatever is
    needed when I know it).

    But as my devices are neither PCI nor ISA, I don't know how i can get
    access to the custom GSI interrupt from a LKM. acpi_register_gsi() used
    to be exported but is not anymore and I guess this is mandatory that
    this function is called to prepare internal structures (maybe irq_desc)
    and most importantly to configure to level triggering active low.

    So I'm thinking about writing black magic DSDT stuffs or whatever,
    which i might be able to sort of do after reading the fabulous ACPI
    specifications. Any feedback or pointer would be highly welcome.

    BTW when Linux devs says that bios writers are writing shit, yeah, they
    do, and given the state of complexity of the PC platform, I'm at the
    risk to do it too because I'm not supposed to delay the production of
    our system by one additional year just to completely learn how the
    shitty PC "standards" are supposed to work. From a more personal
    point of view when I'm reading the ACPI or other related specs tainted
    by MS and their desire to put GUID everywhere and other terrible ideas,
    I would rather prefer being high to not endure that much pain.

    As more and more x86 systems are directly designed to run Linux and
    only tested with it, with some of those (like our own) being built
    by people having complete control on the board and firmware (Coreboot),
    maybe it is time to define a legacy-free variant of the x86 plateform
    (especially on the FW/OS interface) for the free software and free
    hardware design world, so that we aren't restricted and slowed down by
    retro-compatible technologies dedicated at running MS-DOS and created
    with the explicit goal to be hard to use for anything else than
    Windows NT.

    Guillaume Knispel
    Avencall - 10 bis, rue Lucien Voilin - 92800 Puteaux

     \ /
      Last update: 2012-01-24 18:53    [W:0.022 / U:5.556 seconds]