    SubjectRe: loading firmware while usermodehelper disabled.
    On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 02:46:56PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > It's *trivial* to attach the firmware driver and load the firmware
    > even if the firmware isn't needed - because you know it *will* be
    > needed if somebody suspends. Why not just do that? Why make up these
    > horrible problems that are totally irrelevant?

    It means adding complexity to drivers that don't currently care about
    it, and carrying that cost even for hardware that doesn't need it. It
    can certainly be made to work, but it's inelegant. We could avoid this
    specific instance of the problem by just punting responsibility to
    userland instead.

    It's clear that we can solve this. All I'm saying is that just making
    the firmware loader cache things isn't a solution in itself. In this
    specific case, it means merging the isight_firmware driver into
    uvcvideo, which is something the uvcvideo maintainer didn't seem keen on
    a few years ago.

    --
    Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org

      Last update: 2012-01-03 00:03    [W:0.023 / U:0.020 seconds]