SubjectRe: [RFC] syscalls, x86: Add __NR_kcmp syscall
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 03:29:50PM -0800, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> > It doesn't matter. Even if we take a list of objects the kernel either
> > should return us some ordering info or find duplicates, in any case it
> > makes things more complex i think. So we wanted to bring some minimum
> > into kernel leaving the rest of work to user-space.
>
> Agreed a syscall does the duplication is probably not the way to go.
>
> A syscall that takes a huge list of objects would solve any security
> concerns that we have with returning the object order to user space if
> done carefully, but it would require a bunch of additional user space
> and kernel memory.

yes, an it increase syscall time itself since we will have to provide
this memory dynamically

> Sometimes taking a data structure transforming it into a weird form for
> a specific task and then transforming the data structure back to it's
> original form is a useful way to go. So I think a general kernel object
> deduplicating system call is an interesting plan B, but a straight
> comparison function if we can make it work is a lot more flexible and
> useful.

I hope the root-only restriction would resolve the potential security
problem, since as I mentioned if I've hijacked the machine and already
goot root -- mem order is not that interesting info I could obtain from
such computer :)

Cyrill

  Last update: 2012-01-19 07:57    [W:0.087 / U:0.024 seconds]