    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] tracing: make signal tracepoints more useful
    On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 11:02 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > > The kernel does this all the time. We have syscalls that may
    > > extend the data structure. [...]
    >
    > That is not true *AT ALL* in such an unqualified manner. Steve,
    > stop being stupid.

    OK, Ingo I think we had a little miscommunication here.

    I forgot what I originally wrote, and you cut off too much in your
    reply. What I originally said:

    "The kernel does this all the time. We have syscalls that may extend the
    data structure. This is a common practice. Any app that depends on a
    data structure remaining the same size for no good reason is broken by
    design."

    If you took the "Any app that depends on a data structure remaining the
    same size for no good reason is broken by design" was suppose to mean,
    any app that depends on syscall data structures is broken by design, I
    would agree, that statement is stupid. I didn't write that well, as my
    thought process switched back to reading tracepoints and wasn't meant to
    be about syscalls there. I didn't articulate that properly.

    As you can tell, I was a little upset at being called stupid this
    morning. If you took that statement to mean about syscalls, I understand
    your calling me stupid, and I apologize for being a bit snippy. I like
    to keep LKML discussions technical and not something for name calling.

    -- Steve

      Last update: 2012-01-17 20:55    [W:2.857 / U:0.008 seconds]