SubjectRe: [RFC 0/3]block: An IOPS based ioscheduler
On Mon, 2012-01-16 at 03:29 -0500, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 03:55:41PM +0800, Shaohua Li wrote:

> > > Why increasing quantum leads to CFQ being unfair? In terms of time it
> > > still tries to be fair.
> > we can dispatch a lot of requests to NCQ SSD with very small time
> > interval. The disk can finish a lot of requests in small time interval
> > too. The time is much smaller than 1 jiffy. Increasing quantum can lead
> > a task dispatches request more faster and makes the accounting worse,
> > because with small quantum the task needs wait to dispatch. you can
> > easily verify this with a simple fio test.
> >
> > > That's a different thing that with NCQ, right
> > > time measurement is not possible with requests from multiple queues
> > > being in the driver/disk at the same time. So accouting in terms of
> > > iops per queue might make sense.
> > yes.

> > > It is not exactly noop. It still preempts writes and prioritizes reads
> > > and direct writes.
> > sure, I mean fairness mostly here.
> >
> > > Also, what's the real life workload where you face issues with using
> > > say deadline with these flash based storage.
> > deadline doesn't provide fairness. mainly cgroup workload. workload with
> > different ioprio has issues too, but I don't know which real workload
> > uses ioprio.
>
> Personally I have not run into any workload which provides deep queue depths
> constantly for a very long time. I had to run fio to create such
> scnearios.
>
> Not running deep queue depths will lead to expiration of queue (Otherwise
> idling will kill performance on these fast devices). And without idling
> most of the logic of slice and accounting does not help. A queue
> dispatches some requests and expires (irrespective of what time slice
> you had allocated it based on ioprio).
That's true, if workload doesn't drive deep queue depths, any accounting
can't help for NCQ disks as far as I tried. Idling is the only method to
make accounting correct, but it impacts performance too much.

> That's why I am insisting that it would be nice that any move in this
> direction should be driven by some real workload instead of just coming
> up with synthetic workloads.
I thought yanhai from taobao (cc-ed) has real workload and he found cfq
performance suffers a lot.

Thanks,
Shaohua

  Last update: 2012-01-17 02:11    [W:0.094 / U:1.360 seconds]