    SubjectRe: Chronic resource starvation.
    On Sat, 2012-01-14 at 14:21 -0600, Mike Mestnik wrote:
    > On 01/13/12 21:17, Mike Mestnik wrote:
    > > I've dealt with applications taking extended time off for a number of
    > > years. I typically attribute it to applications being overly zealous
    > > about eating memory as most every application tends to do these days. I
    > > had always figured that there a likely plenty of ppl complaining and I
    > > didn't want to get the boiler plat answer that resources are cheap.
    > >
    > > I refuse to buy into the idea that Z computers can get an additional Y
    > > resource to run application X, when instead application X could be
    > > engineered once and for all. This ideology is not sustainable and
    > > eventually will crash upon it's self. I call this Z * Y < X. The
    > > application source becomes the single location where every computers
    > > resources can be increased at the cost of much less then to adjust the
    > > running environment of every location that the code may run.
    > >
    > > Here is a 84MB video that demonstrates the issue.
    > > http://j.mp/wavbCO
    > > http://bitly.com/wavbCO+
    > I'm glad to see a number of you have clicked on this link.
    >
    > Does this behavior look normal or is it just my system? If it is normal
    > how difficult would it be to make corrections and would those
    > corrections likely be kernel or application related?

    That "Backup complete" makes me suspect a classic case of IO-itis. If
    bits of your GUI were pushed out or ram (or weren't previously used),
    and live on a disk you're beating hell out of, you get to experience
    horrid interactivity while those missing bits are being retrieved.

    -Mike

      Last update: 2012-01-15 13:11    [W:0.021 / U:1.192 seconds]