SubjectRe: [RFC,PATCH 1/2] seccomp_filters: system call filtering using BPF
On 01/12, Will Drewry wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM, Oleg Nesterov <oleg@redhat.com> wrote:

> >> So on x86 32, it would work since user_regs_struct == task_pt_regs
> >> (iirc), but on x86-64
> >> and others, that's not true.
> >
> > Yes sure, I meant that userpace should use pt_regs too.
> >
> >> If it would be appropriate to expose pt_regs to userspace, then I'd
> >> happily do so :)
> >
> > Ah, so that was the reason. But it is already exported? At least I see
> > the "#ifndef __KERNEL__" definition in arch/x86/include/asm/ptrace.h.
> >
> > Once again, I am not arguing, just trying to understand. And I do not
> > know if this definition is part of abi.
>
> I don't either :/ My original idea was to operate on task_pt_regs(current),
> but I noticed that PTRACE_GETREGS/SETREGS only uses the
> user_regs_struct. So I went that route.

Well, I don't know where user_regs_struct come from initially. But
probably it is needed to allow to access the "artificial" things like
fs_base. Or perhaps this struct mimics the layout in the coredump.

> I'd love for pt_regs to be fair game to cut down on the copying!

Me too. I see no point in using user_regs_struct.

Oleg.