    SubjectRe: x86, mce, Use user return notifier in mce
    From
    On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Huang Ying <ying.huang@intel.com> wrote:
    > Replace the home-made TIF_MCE_NOTIFY based code in MCE with user
    > return notifier.

    When I looked at this before, I found that the existing user return notifier had
    the meaning "call a function before THIS CPU returns to user space". Use in KVM
    was to update some MSR that needed adjustment before a cpu ran another user
    process.

    The MCE code wanted something slightly different: "call a function before THIS
    PROCESS returns to user space". So my prototype code from last year made a
    whole new set of interfaces - similar in style to the user return
    notifier, but with
    the MCE semantics.

    At first glance it looks like you are just using the user return
    notifier code (perhaps
    I'm mis-reading the diff?). This won't work - it's possible for a
    context switch, and
    then the process that hit the MCE may get moved to another cpu, when it will
    be run. Meanwhile we'll execute our function in the context of some
    other process.

    -Tony

      Last update: 2012-01-13 02:49    [W:0.019 / U:119.536 seconds]