    SubjectRe: Re* Regulator updates for 3.3
    On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 10:59 PM, Junio C Hamano <gitster@pobox.com> wrote:

    > What makes me uneasy about the idea of running the editor by default is
    > that many people still use Git as a better CVS/SVN. Their workflow is to
    > build randomly on their 'master', attempt to push and get rejected, pull
    > only so that they can push out, and then push the merge result out.

    Sure. And I don't think we can do much about it. They'll either set
    the legacy flag, or they'll just exit the editor without adding
    anything useful (if you come from a CVS background in particular, you
    probably never learnt to do good commit logs anyway).

    So it will be a bit more work for the bad workflow, I agree - although
    if it really irritates people, they can just set that GIT_MERGE_LEGACY
    in their .bashrc files or something. But we can *hope* that even those
    people might sometimes actually talk about what/why they are doing
    things, or maybe even learn about that whole "distributed" thing.

    I agree that is unlikely to ever happen, though. It's more likely that
    they will change their aliases so that their "update" command just
    adds the --no-edit flag. Regardless, it doesn't sound *too* onerous to
    work around.

    Patch looks good to me. I would personally have compared "st_mode"
    instead of (or in addition to) "st_rdev", but I don't think it matters
    all that much.

    Linus

      Last update: 2012-01-11 17:25    [W:0.026 / U:0.004 seconds]