    SubjectPlease revert "debug: Make CONFIG_EXPERT select CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL to unhide debug options"
    I was just wondering why I was asked about all the debug options when I
    tried 3.1-rc8, and that was due to commit f505c553 (debug: Make
    CONFIG_EXPERT select CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL to unhide debug options),
    the full commit is below.

    It is wrong, and the author does not seem to understand how Kconfig works.

    The commit message is:

    Several debugging options currently default to y, such as
    CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE and CONFIG_DEBUG_RODATA. Embedded users
    might want to turn those options off to save space; however,
    turning them off requires turning on CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL to
    unhide them. Since CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL exists specifically to
    unhide debugging options, and CONFIG_EXPERT exists specifically
    to unhide options potentially needed by experts and/or embedded
    users, make CONFIG_EXPERT automatically imply
    CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL.

    Let me point at the obvious fact that both CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE and
    CONFIG_DEBUG_RODATA do depend on DEBUG_KERNEL, and are contrary to the
    claim of the author of this patch never enabled with
    CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=n. [1]

    Linus, please revert this commit.

    Thanks
    Adrian

    [1] Select abuse would be an exception, but that doesn't seem to be
    the case for these options.

      Last update: 2011-09-30 15:53    [W:0.019 / U:0.380 seconds]