SubjectRe: General question about TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE and schedule_timeout()
On 09/01/2011 10:09 AM, Yong Zhang wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 06:18:19PM +0530, sifram rajas wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a general question about the following 2 lines of code I see
>> all over the kernel:
>> 1 set_current_state(TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE) ;
>> 2 schedule_timeout(<some value>);
>>
>> In the above code, if we encounter an interrupt after executing line
>> 1, we will end up
>> call schedule() from the architecture specific code for CONFIG_PREEMPT
>> kernels, after
>> the interrupt handler has been invokled.
> Yes.
>
>> This will cause the current task to sleep interruptibly forever

Actually, sleeping forever in the TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE state is not correct,
because even though the task is preempted by higher priority one
it will finally get a chance to run, but you will get time out value
of <some value> + preemption latency.

>> instead of for a certain timeout interval.
> No.
>
> schedule() will not put an preempted task to sleep, see:

This might be problematic, because on the IRQ to preemption check path
the PREEMPT_ACTIVE was already set and the following 'if' statement
could not hold because of
!(preempt_count() & PREEMPT_ACTIVE) == false

and the pick_next_task() might put the preempted task to sleep.

Correct me on any misunderstanding :-)

Cheers
Shan Hai