    SubjectRe: Proposal for a low-level Linux display framework
    On 09/15/2011 03:50 PM, Keith Packard wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 18:29:54 +0300, Tomi Valkeinen <tomi.valkeinen@ti.com> wrote:
    >
    >> 1) It's part of DRM, so it doesn't help fb or v4l2 drivers. Except if
    >> the plan is to make DRM the core Linux display framework, upon which
    >> everything else is built, and fb and v4l2 are changed to use DRM.
    >
    > I'd like to think we could make DRM the underlying display framework;
    > it already exposes an fb interface, and with overlays, a bit more of the
    > v4l2 stuff is done as well. Certainly eliminating three copies of mode
    > setting infrastructure would be nice...

    Interesting that this comes from the people that pushed the latest mode setting
    code into the kernel. But I don't think that this will happen, the exposed user
    interfaces will be around for decades and the infrastructure code could be
    shared, in theory.
    For fb and V4L2 I think we'll develop some level of interoperability, share
    concepts and maybe even some code. The FOURCC pixel formats and overlays are
    such examples. As Laurent is really interested in it I think we can get some
    nice progress here.
    For fb and DRM the situation is entirely different. The last proposal I remember
    ended in the DRM people stating that only their implementation is acceptable as
    is and we could use it. Such attitude is not helpful and as I don't see any
    serious intention of the DRM guys to cooperate I think those subsystems are more
    likely to diverge. At least I'll never accept any change to the fb
    infrastructure that requires DRM.

    Regards,

    Florian Tobias Schandinat

      Last update: 2011-09-15 19:15    [W:0.022 / U:1.592 seconds]