    SubjectBUG: Bisected Gianfar in bridge not forwarding packets (was: 3.0-rc1 Bridge not forwarding unicast packages)
    From
    Good evening/morning,

    > I just upgraded my router/bridge combo to 3.1-rc1 from 3.0 for
    > testing. On a first look everything seemed to work fine, but when I
    > tried to connect via openvpn to my internal network (tap0 being bridged
    > with the internal network) I noticed that I was not able to access the
    > server on my internal network. I could access the bridge (which is
    > acting as the openvpn server as well) just fine though.
    > To debug this I ran tcpdump on the openvpn client and started a ping to the
    > internal network. I could see the ARP requests being answered.....
    <snip>

    After much digging and testing I found the commit that causes the
    problem for me here.

    87c288c6e gianfar: do vlan cleanup

    Before this commit my bridge works fine. I simplified the test case
    and just tried to access the server from a local wireless device with
    gets also bridged via
    a gianfar nic to the wired lan. Before commit 87c288c6e I can ping the
    device from the internal network afterwards it stops.
    For testing purposes I reverted this commit (plus some others to make
    the code compile) and it started working again.
    The hardware is a routerboard with three onboard nics two of em gianfar.
    The gianfar nics do not support any kind of offloading,

    Offload parameters for lan_wire:
    rx-checksumming: off
    tx-checksumming: off
    scatter-gather: off
    tcp-segmentation-offload: off
    udp-fragmentation-offload: off
    generic-segmentation-offload: off
    generic-receive-offload: on
    large-receive-offload: off
    rx-vlan-offload: off
    tx-vlan-offload: off
    ntuple-filters: off
    receive-hashing: off

    The Bridge device on the other hand....

    Offload parameters for lan:
    rx-checksumming: on
    tx-checksumming: on
    scatter-gather: off
    tcp-segmentation-offload: off
    udp-fragmentation-offload: off
    generic-segmentation-offload: off
    generic-receive-offload: on
    large-receive-offload: off
    rx-vlan-offload: off
    tx-vlan-offload: on
    ntuple-filters: off
    receive-hashing: off

    Is it possible that the new code is tripped up by the bridge offload
    parameters somehow and thinks that the gianfar nic supports it as
    well?
    As I wrote in my initial mail, connecting to the Bridge itself works,
    I can also see ARP requests and Broadcasts, the rest just seems to
    disappear.

    As for the commits I reverted:
    a4aeb2662 vlan: kill __vlan_hwaccel_rx and vlan_hwaccel_rx
    6dacaddd4 vlan: kill vlan_hwaccel_receive_skb
    7890a5b9c vlan: kill ndo_vlan_rx_register
    b852b7208 gianfar: fix bug caused by 87c288c6e9aa31720b72e2bc2d665e24e1653c3e

    87c288c6e gianfar: do vlan cleanup

    I really think that there is only some small change in the gianfar
    code needed, but I could not figure it out myself.
    Please tell me if you need any more information.

    Kind regards,
    Michael Guntsche

      Last update: 2011-08-10 02:53    [W:0.025 / U:59.296 seconds]