    SubjectRe: USB mini-summit at LinuxCon Vancouver

    On 08/09/2011 04:19 PM, Alan Stern wrote:
    > On Tue, 9 Aug 2011, Hans de Goede wrote:
    >> I would really like to see the dual mode camera and TV tuner discussion
    >> separated. They are 2 different issues AFAIK.
    >> 1) Dual mode cameras:
    >> In the case of the dual mode camera we have 1 single device (both at
    >> the hardware level and at the logical block level), which can do 2 things,
    >> but not at the same time. It can stream live video data from a sensor,
    >> or it can retrieve earlier taken pictures from some picture memory.
    >> Unfortunately even though these 2 functions live in a single logical block,
    >> historically we've developed 2 drivers for them. This leads to fighting
    >> over device ownership (surprise surprise), and to me the solution is
    >> very clear, 1 logical block == 1 driver.
    > According to Theodore, we have developed 5 drivers for them because the
    > stillcam modes in different devices use four different vendor-specific
    > drivers.

    Yes, but so the the webcam modes of the different devices, so for
    the 5 (not sure if that is the right number) dual-cam mode chipsets
    we support there will be 5 drivers, each supporting both the
    webcam and the access to pictures stored in memory of the chipset
    they support. So 5 chipsets -> 5 drivers each supporting 1 chipset,
    and both functions of the single logical device that chipset

    > Does it really make sense to combine 5 drivers into one?

    Right, that is not the plan. The plan is to simply stop having 2 drivers
    for 1 logical (and physical) block. So we go from 10 drivers, 5 stillcam
    + 5 webcam, to just 5 drivers. We will also likely be able to share
    code between the code for the 2 functionalities for things like generic
    set / get register functions, initialization, etc.

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-08-09 21:59    [W:0.023 / U:6.980 seconds]