    SubjectRe: [rfc] suppress excessive AER output
    On Thu, Aug 04, 2011 at 10:24:07PM -0400, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
    > Hi,
    > On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 6:34 PM, Dave Jones <> wrote:
    > > I have a machine that has developed some kind of problem with
    > > its onboard ethernet.  It still boots, but spewed almost 1.5G of text
    > > (2381585 instances of the warning below) before we realised what
    > > was going on, and blacklisted the igb driver.
    > >
    > > Is it worth logging every single error when we're flooding like this ?
    > > It seems unlikely that we'll find useful information in amongst that much data
    > > that wasn't already in the first 100 instances.
    > >
    > > I picked 100 in the (untested) example patch below arbitarily, but the exact
    > > value could be smaller, or slightly bigger..
    > >
    > > could we do something like this maybe ?
    > >
    > Please do not reinvent the wheel and use printk_ratelimited().

    It's a different wheel.

    printk_ratelimit slows down the output, but would still cause a lot of messages.

    my diff turns it off completely after a threshold (apart from at the ulong wrap,
    which I overlooked).

      Last update: 2011-08-05 04:35    [W:0.029 / U:8.660 seconds]