SubjectRe: make silentoldconfig question
On 23.8.2011 10:47, Francis Moreau wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a bit confused about silentoldconfig target since it doesn't
> really makes any differences with oldconfig.

silentoldconfig is a historical misnomer, nowadays oldconfig is silent
as well. The purpose of silentoldconfig is to generate include/config/*
and include/generated/autoconf.h files before build starts, oldconfig is
the user interface.

> The only difference I found is this one: if I add a new valid symbol
> at the end of my .config (therefore the position of the symbol is
> incorrect) then olconfig will recreate the .config and thus print its
> annoying message "# config written ..." to stdin whereas
> silentoldconfig won't print anything not because it's silent but
> beacuse the .config is not recreated so the symbol is still badly
> located at the end of the file.

Yes, silentoldconfig does not touch .config if no symbol changed. The
user interfaces always save the .config file.

Michal

  Last update: 2011-08-31 16:51    [W:0.046 / U:0.072 seconds]