[lkml]   [2011]   [Aug]   [30]   [last100]   RSS Feed

SubjectRe: Approaches to making io_submit not block
    On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Andrew Morton
    <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 16:32:08 -0600
    > Jens Axboe <axboe@kernel.dk> wrote:
    >> On 2011-08-30 16:19, Daniel Ehrenberg wrote:
    >> > On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Jens Axboe <axboe@kernel.dk> wrote:
    >> >> On 2011-08-30 15:30, Jeff Moyer wrote:
    >> >>> Daniel Ehrenberg <dehrenberg@google.com> writes:
    >> >>>
    >> >>>> Hi Jens, Jeff,
    >> >>>>
    >> >>>> I just sent a letter to LKML wondering about changes to io_submit that
    >> >>>> I'm thinking of working on. Based on your past contributions to this
    >> >>>> area, I'd really like to know what you think of this plan--how well it
    >> >>>> matches with the existing design, the potential for inclusion in
    >> >>>> upstream Linux, if you see problems.
    >> >>>
    >> >>> Hi, Dan,
    >> >>>
    >> >>> Thanks for taking the time to make AIO better!  There is a mailing list
    >> >>> for aio discussions: linux-aio@kvack.org, so please CC that in the
    >> >>> future (I don't read lkml anymore).
    >> >>>
    >> >>> Right now I'm a bit inundated, so I can't give this a proper review.
    >> >>> I should be able to free up some time in the next two weeks, though.
    >> >>>
    >> >>> In the mean time, you can google for suparna's retry-based aio patches.
    >> >>> Specifically, take a look at how she used prepare_to_wait/finish_wait.
    >> >>> If you haven't done any empirical tests to see where io_submit blocks,
    >> >>> there is a sample systemtap script for that:
    >> >>>   http://sourceware.org/systemtap/examples/io/io_submit.stp
    >> >>> Other attempts at non-blocking aio were off the deep end: fibrils and
    >> >>> syslets.  Fibrils didn't go anywhere because Ingo didn't like them (for
    >> >>> good reason, they essentially introduced another scheduling layer).
    >> >>> Syslets didn't go anywhere b/c they were insane (returned to the
    >> >>> user-space process with a different PID, among other things!).
    >> >>>
    >> >>> If you do go forward in the meantime, you can likely use EIOCBRETRY
    >> >>> instead of EAGAIN.
    >> >>>
    >> >>> I hope that helps!
    >> >>
    >> >> FWIW, I updated the buffered AIO retry patches some time after Suparna
    >> >> droped them. By the date stamp in my branch, they are now 23 months
    >> >> old... Anyway, at least it's more recent, you can find them here:
    >> >>
    >> >> http://git.kernel.dk/?p=linux-block.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/aio-buffered
    >> >>
    >> >> --
    >> >> Jens Axboe
    >> >>
    >> >>
    >> > Thanks! Do you know why the patches weren't merged? I can't find much
    >> > discussion about them.
    >> Not quite sure, and after working on them and fixing thing up, I don't
    >> even think they are that complex or intrusive (which I think otherwise
    >> would've been the main objection). Andrew may know/remember.
    > Boy, that was a long time ago.  I was always unhappy with the patches
    > because of the amount of additional code/complexity they added.
    > Then the great syslets/threadlets design session happened and it was
    > expected that such a facility would make special async handling for AIO
    > unnecessary.  Then syslets/threadlets didn't happen.

Do you think we could accomplish the goals with less additional
    code/complexity? It looks like the latest version of the patch set
    wasn't so invasive.

If syslets/threadlets aren't happening, should these patches be
    reconsidered for inclusion in the kernel?

Thanks,
    Dan
    the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

Last update: 2011-08-31 00:47    [W:0.031 / U:60.604 seconds]