SubjectRe: Kernel almost hangs when CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=y
On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 12:28:31PM -0400, Kyle Moffett wrote:
> No, Linus pushed back really hard last time this issue came up with
> something; a network driver if I recall correctly.

r8169 probably.

> The issue is that this happens *EVEN FOR MODULAR DRIVERS* during
> suspend/resume. The firmware simply may not be available yet.
>
> If the driver fundamentally cannot work without the firmware then it should
> bind to the device and wait until the first userspace action before requesting
> firmware.
>
> Furthermore, the trend is generally to push the firmware OUT of the kernel
> binary to avoid any chance of license issues. Even if the code is built-in
> it should not need built-in firmware.
>
> The quickest fix is probably something like this:
>
> config DRM_RADEON_FIRMWARE
> tristate
> default m if STANDALONE
> default y
>
> config DRM_RADEON
> depends DRM_RADEON_FIRMWARE
>
> That should prevent somebody from building the radeon driver into the
> kernel unless they manually indicate that they have the extra firmware.
>
> Long-term, the driver should support modular firmware even when it's
> built-in to the kernel.

Yep, and drivers should be able to select the firmware they need without
users even needing to do anything about it except installing some
firmware-nonfree package or whatever.

Yeah, sounds much better than Kconfig actually aiding and abetting
firmware blobs in the kernel and users needing to do stuff.

Thanks.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

  Last update: 2011-08-29 19:23    [W:0.129 / U:0.160 seconds]