SubjectRe: cleancache can lead to serious performance degradation
On 08/25/2011 11:56 AM, Dan Magenheimer wrote:

> Third, zcache is relatively new and can certainly benefit from
> the input of other developers. The lzo1x compression in the kernel
> is fairly slow; Seth Jennings (cc'ed) is looking into alternate
> compression technologies. Perhaps there is a better compression
> choice more suitable for older-slower processors, probably with a
> poorer compression ratio. Further, zcache currently does compression
> and decompression with interrupts disabled, which may be a
> significant factor in the slowdowns you've observed. This should
> be fixable.

This was something I've meaning to ask about. Why are compression
and decompression done with interrupts disabled? What would need
to change so that we don't have to disable interrupts?

<cut>

--
Seth

  Last update: 2011-08-26 15:27    [W:0.068 / U:0.820 seconds]