SubjectRe: linux-next: Tree for Aug 22 (evm)
On Mon, 2011-08-22 at 22:24 -0400, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 10:09 PM, Mimi Zohar <zohar@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> >> Yes, it was 'm'.

> >> Yup.
> >
> > Easy, different use cases. The TPM has been around and used for a while,
> > not requiring it to be built-in. EVM, a new use case, requires it to be
> > built-in.
> >
> What behavior is expected when TPM is built as a module ? Would you
> expect EVM to be accessible ?

> >> Right.
> >
> > The TPM, crypto, trusted and encrypted keys are tristate. Like the
> > LSMs, EVM is boolean, which when selected using 'make xconfig', converts
> > the tristates to built-in. The tristate/boolean mismatches aren't
> > corrected, when .config is edited directly.
> >
> well, ... no. 'xconfig' would seem to let you think they have been
> changed to 'y', but they have not. I have been able to generate a bad
> configuration (TPM module, EVM built-in) using only {menu,x}config.
>
> btw, I never edit the configuration manually, there is a big fat "DO
> NOT EDIT" header in the beginning.
>
> Depending on what you expect, one way to fix that is to make EVM
> depends on TCG_TPM = y, not just TCG_TPM.
>
> - Arnaud

Thanks, that seems to work for now. I'd really like to remove the
trusted-key and TCG_TPM dependencies from encrypted keys. Thus removing
the TCG_TPM dependency from EVM. But then, trusted keys could be
enabled differently than encrypted keys.

Is there a way of allowing 'A' not to be dependent on 'B', but if 'B' is
defined, force 'B' to be built-in if 'A' is built-in, or as a module if
'A' is a module?

thanks,

Mimi

  Last update: 2011-08-24 04:09    [W:0.096 / U:1.368 seconds]