SubjectRe: PROBLEM: 2.6.35.7 to 3.0 Inotify events missing
From
On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 04:03:35AM +0100, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Well you still have your sense of humour...
>
> I've never understood why you think it's about the file manager /
> desktop, or why you so strongly dislike the feature. It originated
> there historically, but that is not it's primary use.
>
> The implementation, sure, but you seem to dislike the very *principle*
> of subscribing to changes.
>
> Every interesting use of inotify that I've seen is for some kind of
> cache support, to eliminate the majority of stat() calls, to remove
> disk I/O (no stat means no inode), to ensure correctness (st_mtime is
> coarse and unreliable),

It seems rather fragile as an mtime replacement unless it's also got
some sort of logging built in at a pretty low level so that you don't
lose events while you're not listening.

And of course events have to be defined very carefully to avoid problems
such as this one.

> and to avoid having to modify every
> application which might affect any file from which cached items are
> derived to explicitly notify all the applications which might use any
> of those files.
>
> You like high performance, reliable and correct behaviour, and high
> scalability. So I have never understood why you dislike the
> change-subscription principle so strongly, because it is a natural
> ally to those properties.

I don't think we've seen a design that does all of that yet.

--b.

  Last update: 2011-08-21 19:09    [W:0.048 / U:0.552 seconds]