    SubjectRe: [RFC] weird crap with vdso on uml/i386
    On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 05:22:23PM +0200, Richard Weinberger wrote:

    > Hmmm, very strange.
    > Sadly I cannot reproduce the issue. :(
    > Everything works fine within UML.
    > (Of course I've applied your vDSO/i386 patches)
    >
    > My test setup:
    > Host kernel: 2.6.37 and 3.0.1
    > Distro: openSUSE 11.4/x86_64
    >
    > UML kernel: 3.1-rc2
    > Distro: openSUSE 11.1/i386
    >
    > Does the problem also occur with another host kernel or a different
    > guest image?

    Could you check what you get in __kernel_vsyscall()? On iAMD64 box
    where that sucker contains sysenter-based variant the bug is not
    present. IOW, it's sensitive to syscall vs. systenter vs. int 0x80
    differences.

    I can throw the trimmed-down fs image your way, BTW (66MB of bzipped ext2 ;-/)
    if you want to see if that gets reproduced on your box. I'll drop it on
    anonftp if you are interested. FWIW, the same kernel binary/same image
    result in
    * K7 box - no breakage, SYSENTER-based vdso
    * K8 box - breakage as described, SYSCALL-based vdso32
    * P4 box - no breakage, SYSENTER-based vdso32
    Hell knows... In theory that would seem to point towards ia32_cstar_target(),
    so I'm going to RTFS carefully through that animal.

    The thing is, whatever happens happens when victim gets resumed inside
    vdso page. I'll try to dump PTRACE_SETREGS and see the values host
    kernel asked to set and work from there, but the interesting part is
    bloody hard to singlestep through - the victim is back to user mode and
    it is already traced by the guest kernel, so it's not as if we could
    attach host gdb to it and walk through that crap. And guest gdb is not
    going to be able to set breakpoints in there - vdso page is r/o...

      Last update: 2011-08-20 22:17    [W:4.545 / U:0.208 seconds]