SubjectRe: running of out memory => kernel crash
On 08/19/2011 01:29 PM, Bryan Donlan wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:26, Pavel Ivanov<paivanof@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Could you elaborate on this? We have a completely unusable server
>> which can be revived only by hard power cycling (administrators won't
>> be able to log in because sshd and shell will fall victims of the same
>> unending disk reading). And as an alternative we can kill some process
>> and at least allow administrator to log in and check if something else
>> can be done to make server feel better. Why is it worse?
>>
>> I understand that it could be very hard to detect such situation but
>> at least it's worth trying I think.
>
> Deciding when to call the server unusable is a policy decision that
> the kernel can't make very easily on its own; the point when the
> system is considered unusable may be different depending on workload.
> You could create a userspace daemon, however, that mlockall()s, then
> monitors memory usage, load average, etc and kills processes when
> things start to go south. You could also use the memory resource
> cgroup controller to set hard limits on memory usage.

Indeed. From the point of view of the OS, it's running everything on
the system without a problem. It's deep into swap, but it's running.

If there are application requirements on grade-of-service, it's up to
the application to check whether those are being met and if not to do
something about it.

Chris

--
Chris Friesen
Software Developer

  Last update: 2011-08-19 23:21    [W:0.098 / U:0.796 seconds]