    SubjectRe: ARM promising platform, needs to learn from PC.
    > I'm suggesting splitting out the crazy part into a separate project
    > that does this. Open-source. Like a mini-kernel.

    linus, i'm surprised, shocked even! are you seriously proposing that
    the linux kernel be split into two, ooo, i dunno... something along
    the lines of a core and an OSKit v2.0? the last time OSKit was
    created it didn't go down too well :) but seriously: yes, i also came
    up with this idea, and, whilst it sounds like a great idea in
    principle, it is merely "moving the problem".

    likewise with any other ideas such as allowing the linux kernel to be
    a userspace application (running under L4KA or other microkernel).

    so i think you'll find that whilst such ideas are great in principle,
    they merely solve _your_ stress levels, not anyone else's :)

    > Because the thing is,
    > the main kernel doesn't care, and _shouldn't_ care. Those board files
    > are just noise.

    yes, and they're necessary. they link everything together, for the
    actual real-world manufacturer shipping the real-world customised
    one-of-a-kind mass-volume product, of which there are merely many many
    thousands if not millions of units sold.

    yes, it initially sounded like i was arguing "in favour" of those...
    noisy-board-files, but you can see - if you read to the end of the
    sentence - i'm most certainly not.

    this is where the "selfish patch is out, collaborative patches are
    in" rule would come into play.

    under the proposed rule, such board files would *not* qualify.

    however, if that board file was for a device that was part of a
    collaboration (such as: it was for the pandaboard, IMX53QSB, or its
    hardware CAD/CAM files were available under an OSI-Approved License),
    i would argue that it *should* qualify.

    i've listed examples of each, in the FAQ.

    it would be good to be able to clearly link each concrete example to
    a real-world case where linux developers have clearly gone "argggh!",
    to evaluate how effective the proposed "selfish is out, collaboration
    is in" rule would be.

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-08-19 13:55    [W:0.063 / U:8.304 seconds]