    SubjectRe: Suppressing a plus from setlocalversion
    On Aug 15 Pavel Roskin wrote:
    > Quoting David Rientjes <rientjes@google.com>:
    >
    > > On Mon, 15 Aug 2011, Pavel Roskin wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hello!
    > >>
    > >> There is one annoyance in the build system that I cannot work around.
    > >
    > > That's surprising since you actually state the workaround, i.e. using
    > > LOCALVERSION= with make, yourself.
    >
    > OK, I don't consider that an acceptable solution, as it could
    > interfere with other build systems.
    >
    > However, as soon as I posted this message, I found a better solution,
    > namely setting LOCALVERSION= in the environment (both for the normal
    > user and for root). This is less likely to have unexpected effects,
    > since the environment variables don't override the variables
    > explicitly set in makefiles.

    Having this globally as an environment variable seems to be a more
    intrusive alternative; there are no namespaces.

    You can wrap the make command lines that you often use into shell
    aliases. I often use command lines like 'nice make -j8' or
    'nice make -j8 C=1 CF="-D__CHECK_ENDIAN__"' by alias.

    > > Yes, because the kernel you've produced is no longer 3.1.0-rc2, it is
    > > modified. If you want to do something else locally, then you can always
    > > use LOCALVERSION=.
    > >
    > > The + was added to stop falsely identifying kernels as a specific version
    > > when they are modified by default. Sorry if you forget to override it
    > > sometimes.

    I for one am glad that I don't have to remember to force a localversion
    all the time. All of the kernels that I runtime-test have their source
    managed by quilt, not git. Thankfully, scripts/setlocalversion
    acknowledges that quilt users know what they are doing. :-)
    --
    Stefan Richter

      Last update: 2011-08-16 15:27    [W:0.020 / U:153.700 seconds]