SubjectRe: Suppressing a plus from setlocalversion
On Mon, 15 Aug 2011, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> Hello!
>
> There is one annoyance in the build system that I cannot work around.

That's surprising since you actually state the workaround, i.e. using
LOCALVERSION= with make, yourself.

> Before I attempt hacking the code, I'd like to make sure I'm not
> missing anything obvious.
>
> Suppose that I have a kernel version 3.1-rc2. I want to test some patch
> for some code that is compiled as a module. I change the code and
> create a patch with STGit. I recompile the modules, install them by
> "make module_install", unload the module I patched, load it again
> and find that there is no effect from my change. It turns out that the
> modules were installed to "/lib/modules/3.1.0-rc2+" and the plus was
> added by scripts/localversion because the source tree is now modified.

Yes, because the kernel you've produced is no longer 3.1.0-rc2, it is
modified. If you want to do something else locally, then you can always
use LOCALVERSION=.

The + was added to stop falsely identifying kernels as a specific version
when they are modified by default. Sorry if you forget to override it
sometimes.

  Last update: 2011-08-16 01:09    [W:0.254 / U:0.076 seconds]