    SubjectRe: Suppressing a plus from setlocalversion
    On Mon, 15 Aug 2011, Pavel Roskin wrote:

    > Hello!
    >
    > There is one annoyance in the build system that I cannot work around.

    That's surprising since you actually state the workaround, i.e. using
    LOCALVERSION= with make, yourself.

    > Before I attempt hacking the code, I'd like to make sure I'm not
    > missing anything obvious.
    >
    > Suppose that I have a kernel version 3.1-rc2. I want to test some patch
    > for some code that is compiled as a module. I change the code and
    > create a patch with STGit. I recompile the modules, install them by
    > "make module_install", unload the module I patched, load it again
    > and find that there is no effect from my change. It turns out that the
    > modules were installed to "/lib/modules/3.1.0-rc2+" and the plus was
    > added by scripts/localversion because the source tree is now modified.

    Yes, because the kernel you've produced is no longer 3.1.0-rc2, it is
    modified. If you want to do something else locally, then you can always
    use LOCALVERSION=.

    The + was added to stop falsely identifying kernels as a specific version
    when they are modified by default. Sorry if you forget to override it
    sometimes.

      Last update: 2011-08-16 01:09    [W:0.030 / U:2.068 seconds]