SubjectRe: USB mini-summit at LinuxCon Vancouver
On Tue, 9 Aug 2011, Hans de Goede wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 08/09/2011 04:19 PM, Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Tue, 9 Aug 2011, Hans de Goede wrote:
> > According to Theodore, we have developed 5 drivers for them because the
> > stillcam modes in different devices use four different vendor-specific
> > drivers.
>
> Yes, but so the the webcam modes of the different devices, so for
> the 5 (not sure if that is the right number) dual-cam mode chipsets
> we support there will be 5 drivers, each supporting both the
> webcam and the access to pictures stored in memory of the chipset
> they support. So 5 chipsets -> 5 drivers each supporting 1 chipset,
> and both functions of the single logical device that chipset
> represents.
>
> > Does it really make sense to combine 5 drivers into one?
>
> Right, that is not the plan. The plan is to simply stop having 2 drivers
> for 1 logical (and physical) block. So we go from 10 drivers, 5 stillcam
> + 5 webcam, to just 5 drivers. We will also likely be able to share
> code between the code for the 2 functionalities for things like generic
> set / get register functions, initialization, etc.

Okay, I didn't realize that the different cameras used different webcam
drivers as well as different stillcam drivers.

As far as I can see, there's nothing to stop anybody from adding the
stillcam functionality into the webcam drivers right now. If some
common code can be abstracted out into a shared source file, so much
the better.

That would solve the problem, right?

Alan Stern

  Last update: 2011-08-10 16:23    [W:0.109 / U:1.188 seconds]