SubjectRe: virtio scsi host draft specification, v3
On 07/01/2011 09:14 AM, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
>> Actually, the kernel does _not_ do a LUN remapping.
>
> Not the kernel, the in-kernel target. The in-kernel target can and will
> map hardware LUNs (target_lun in drivers/target/*) to arbitrary LUNs
> (mapped_lun).
>
>>> Put in another way: the virtio-scsi device is itself a SCSI
>>> target,
>>
>> Argl. No way. The virtio-scsi device has to map to a single LUN.
>
> I think we are talking about different things. By "virtio-scsi device"
> I meant the "virtio-scsi HBA". When I referred to a LUN as seen by the
> guest, I was calling it a "virtual SCSI device". So yes, we were
> calling things with different names. Perhaps from now on
> we can call them virtio-scsi {initiator,target,LUN} and have no
> ambiguity? I'll also modify the spec in this sense.
>
>> The SCSI spec itself only deals with LUNs, so anything you'll read in
>> there obviously will only handle the interaction between the
>> initiator (read: host) and the LUN itself. However, the actual
>> command is send via an intermediat target, hence you'll always see
>> the reference to the ITL (initiator-target-lun) nexus.
>
> Yes, this I understand.
>
>> The SCSI spec details discovery of the individual LUNs presented by a
>> given target, it does _NOT_ detail the discovery of the targets
>> themselves. That is being delegated to the underlying transport
>
> And in fact I have this in virtio-scsi too, since virtio-scsi _is_ a
> transport:
Oh, here I catch up. I was wondering why there're ordering issues when
talking
about virtio-scsi, since in SAM3, the third and the last paragraph of
section
4.6.3 Request/Response ordering clearly describe it:

The manner in which ordering constraints are established is vendor
specific. An
implementation may delegate this responsibility to the application client
(e.g., the device driver). In-order delivery may be an intrinsic property of
the service delivery subsystem or a requirement established by the SCSI
transport protocol standard.

To simplify the description of behavior, the SCSI architecture model assumes
in-order delivery of requests or responses to be a property of the service
delivery subsystem. This assumption does not constitute a requirement. The
SCSI architecture model makes no assumption about and places no
requirement on
the ordering of requests or responses for different I_T nexuses.

So if I understand correctly, virtio-scsi looks like an SCSI tranport
protocol,
such as iSCSI, FCP and SRP which use tcp/ip, FC and Infiniband RDMA
respectively as the transfer media while virtio-scsi uses virtio, an
virtual IO
channel, as the transfer media?