SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Lockless SLUB slowpaths for v3.1-rc1
On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 8:27 AM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> Do we allocate the page map array sufficiently aligned that we
> actually don't ever have the case of straddling a cacheline? I didn't
> check.

Oh, and another thing worth checking: did somebody actually check the
timings for:

- *just* the alignment change?

IOW, maybe some of the netperf improvement isn't from the lockless
path, but exactly from 'struct page' always being in a single
cacheline?

- check performance with cmpxchg16b *without* the alignment.

Sometimes especially intel is so good at unaligned accesses that
you wouldn't see an issue. Now, locked ops are usually special (and
crossing cachelines with a locked op is dubious at best), so there may
actually be correctness issues involved too, but it would be
interesting to hear if anybody actually just tried it.

Hmm?

Linus

  Last update: 2011-07-30 20:35    [W:0.108 / U:0.436 seconds]