    SubjectRe: ext3 hacked filesystem (by debian exim4 exploit) available for analysis and bugreporting
    2011/7/29 Pádraig Brady <>:
    >>> Should ls -l be moddified to show something when file has immutable
    >>> (and friends) set?
    >> AFAICT lsattr, in e2fsprogs, only does a 'stat'(lib/e2p/fgetflags.c) and
    >> checks st_flags, which i can't see in the "man 2 stat"-man-page i have
    >> installed, but nonetheless that is what it appears to do.
    >> So assuming there are no incompatibilites between filesystems, the
    >> information appears to come "free" with the stat(s) that ls has to do
    >> anyway. (In the sense that there doesn't appear to any excessive
    >> overhead involved, especially no additional I/O).
    >> So i would say: definitly.
    > `strace lsattr ...` shows it calls ioctl (...FS_IOC_GETFLAGS...)
    > So there would be overhead.
    > The output of ls is fairly constrained too for compat reasons.
    > However these flags are not specific to ext2 so it would fit
    > quite well from that perspective.
    > It might be something we could add to the stat command at least?

    Well, "ls" already displays information about POSIX ACLs by putting
    a "+" after the UNIX permission bits. Some other UNIXen (such as
    Mac OS X) seem to use an "@" character to indicate xattrs or other
    forks of a file, so perhaps it would not be too inappropriate to throw
    an "@" symbol on a file for ext3 immutable bits and such.

    The question is what to do if something has both ACLs and
    ext3 attributes; should it get both characters? Just one?
    Perhaps a unique character?

    I dunno... Just food for thought...

    Kyle Moffett

      Last update: 2011-07-30 04:49    [W:0.022 / U:2.480 seconds]