    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Native Linux KVM tool for 3.1

    * Pekka Enberg <penberg@kernel.org> wrote:

    > Hi Alexander,
    >
    > On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Alexander Graf <agraf@suse.de> wrote:

    > >> Same here - in fact i first asked Qemu to be put into
    > >> tools/qemu/ so that it all becomes more hackable and more usable
    > >> - that suggestion was rebuked very strongly.
    > >
    > > So instead of thinking a bit and trying to realize that there
    > > might be a reason people don't want all their user space in the
    > > kernel tree you go ahead and start your own crusade of creating a
    > > new user space. Great. That's how I always hoped Linux would be
    > > :(.
    >
    > Damn you Ingo Molnar, I knew you'd somehow get all the credit for
    > our hard work! ;-)

    Yeah, i'm really just a user and code reviewer of tools/kvm/, in
    terms of actual commits i'm barely on the radar compared to the
    massive contributions of Pekka, Sasha, Asias, Cyrill and others.

    > More seriously, though, I fail to see what's bothering you
    > Alexander. I and Ingo already mentioned we wouldn't be hacking on
    > Qemu even if there wasn't no tools/kvm. It's not as if we're
    > putting *your* user space code into the kernel tree - we wrote our
    > own! What's wrong with that?

    That puzzles me as well.

    If tools/kvm/ is really such a bad approach then it will just wither
    and die, like one of the thousand stale drivers we have in the kernel
    - or like lguest it ends up as a cool hack that didnt quite make it.

    Judging by the many contributions tools/kvm/ has already attracted in
    its limited form an out of tree project i'd not bet on that outcome
    though.

    Thanks,

    Ingo

      Last update: 2011-07-25 11:17    [W:4.122 / U:0.208 seconds]