    SubjectRe: [Intel-gfx] Major 2.6.38 / 2.6.39 / 3.0 regression ignored?
    On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 01:08:14AM +0400, Kirill Smelkov wrote:
    > On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 01:50:04PM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:

    > > You're right, of course -- UMS is a huge wart on the kernel driver at
    > > this point, keeping it working while also adding new functionality
    > > continues to cause challenges. We tend to expect that most people will
    > > run reasonably contemporaneous kernel and user space code, and so three
    > > years after the switch, it continues to surprise us when someone
    > > actually tries UMS.
    > We are planning upgrade to KMS too. The kernel is upgraded more often
    > compared to userspace, because of already mentioned (thanks!) "no
    > regression" rule. Userspace is more complex and more work in my context,
    > so it is lagging, but eventually we'll get there.

    Also wanted to say, that if whole X could be built, like the kernel, from one
    repo without multirepo-setup tool, with 100% reliable working
    incremental rebuild, etc... it would be a bit easier to upgrade X too.

    Sorry for being a bit offtopic, could not resist. I was keeping that
    though in my head for ~ 2 years already, and now had a chance to mention it.

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-07-22 23:35    [W:0.019 / U:4.260 seconds]