SubjectRe: Question on syslogd and syslog
the problem is that in the syslog spec, the facility and severity get
combined into one 8 bit field (one of the two only has 12 values defined
instead of 16, but I don't remember off the top of my head which one)

so extending this is creating a new protocol.

also, the reason I was talking about filtering is that other than
filtering, what purpose is there in settng the facility?

David Lang

On Sat, 2 Jul 2011, Sri Ram Vemulpali wrote:

> Thanks for the replies. My question is more on how to extend
> facilities, rather on how to filter the messages. It seems there is a
> code in the toolchain syslog.h where the array representing the
> facilities needs to be extended. Please correct me if I am wrong.
>
> Sri.
>
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 3:41 PM, <david@lang.hm> wrote:
>> you would be creating a completely different over-the-wire protocol for your
>> syslog messages.
>>
>> however, note that newer syslog daemons (syslog-ng and rsyslog for example)
>> allow you to do filtering on just about anything in the message, not just
>> the facility and severity.
>>
>> David Lang
>>
>> On Tue, 28 Jun 2011, Sri Ram Vemulpali wrote:
>>
>>> Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 14:11:59 -0400
>>> From: Sri Ram Vemulpali <sri.ram.gmu06@gmail.com>
>>> To: linux-kernel-mail <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>,
>>>    linux-newbie@vger.kernel.org
>>> Subject: Question on syslogd and syslog
>>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>>   I am looking to modify number of facilities available in syslog so
>>> that for my application I can have much more array of them at disposal
>>> of my need. So currently only LOG_LOCAL0 - LOG_LOCAL7 are defined for
>>> user, what if I want to extend them, is there a way I can extend them.
>>> Or should I go ahead and modify the source code of syslog. Can any
>>> please point me in right direction and where can I get syslogd and
>>> syslog source code. Thanks in advance.

  Last update: 2011-07-02 19:25    [W:0.063 / U:0.548 seconds]