SubjectRe: BUG spinlock lockup, rtc related, 3.0-rc7+
From
On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com> wrote:
> This is on the same nfs testing machine I've been posting about.  This
> has some additional nfs patches included, running tests to mount, do io,
> unmount
> over and over again.  Seems that the NFS bugs might be finally fixed, but
> system is still un-stable in general when under load.
>
> This info was printed after several other warnings that I previously posted
> to lkml.
>
> This one appears to lock up the machine pretty badly though...can't ssh into
> it anymore, and similar messages keep spewing every few minutes.
>
> I *think* the BUG at the end of this email is the important part, but
> maybe it's just a symptom of something else...

Huh. So does this trigger frequently, or was this just a one time
thing? I suspect the latter.

From the looks of it, there's the btserver process (on cpu4) which
during exit is caught up spinning trying to get the hrtimer base lock
from hrtimer_cancel() in rtc_irq_set_state() when cleaning up from
rtc_device_release().

Meanwhile, On cpu0, a rtc periodic timer has fired and we're stuck in
rtc_handle_legacy_irq(), likely waiting for the irq_task_lock held by
cpu4 in rtc_irq_set_state().

The rest of the cpus are idle, with the exception of the one that
detected the stall from the normal timer tick.

Hrmm.. It sounds like a circular lock between the rtc->irq_task_lock
and the hrtimer base lock.

rtc_irq_set_state: Grab irq_task_lock -> call hrtimer_cancel -> grab
hrtimer_base_lock

IRQ: grab hrtimer_base_lock -> run timers -> rtc_handle_legacy_irq ->
grab irq_task_lock

But looking at __run_hrtimer(), the base lock should be released
before the timer is run.

So I'm not really sure what would be gumming up things here.

Thomas: Any thoughts? There shouldn't be an issue calling
hrtimer_cancel or other hrtimer operations from an hrtimer handler
right?

thanks
-john