    SubjectRe: Regression in handling of unsafe UBI shutdown
    On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 15:57 +0200, Daniel Mack wrote:
    > Hey,
    >
    > we're facing a new behaviour with 3.0-rc7 kernels wrt UBI file systems
    > that are not properly unmounted on shut down. The newest kernel we're
    > using in production is 2.6.36.4, and this version doesn't show the
    > effect.
    >
    > When our devices boot up, the bootloader (U-Boot) initializes its UBI
    > code, reads in the uImage from the root partition and executes it.
    > This worked very well in thousands of installations previously (with
    > kernels up to version 2.6.36.4), and generally, it still does work
    > well with the latest cutting edge when the kernel is shut down
    > properly and unmounts the UBI partitions safely. However, if the power
    > is removed out of a sudden from a running system, U-Boot now doesn't
    > like the FS anymore upon the next boot:
    >

    > Creating 1 MTD partitions on "nand0":
    > 0x00120000-0x08000000 : "mtd=3"
    > UBI: attaching mtd1 to ubi0
    > UBI: physical eraseblock size: 131072 bytes (128 KiB)
    > UBI: logical eraseblock size: 126976 bytes
    > UBI: smallest flash I/O unit: 2048
    > UBI: VID header offset: 2048 (aligned 2048)
    > UBI: data offset: 4096
    > UBI: attached mtd1 to ubi0
    > UBI: MTD device name: "mtd=3"
    > UBI: MTD device size: 126 MiB
    > UBI: number of good PEBs: 1014
    > UBI: number of bad PEBs: 1
    > UBI: max. allowed volumes: 128
    > UBI: wear-leveling threshold: 4096
    > UBI: number of internal volumes: 1
    > UBI: number of user volumes: 2
    > UBI: available PEBs: 8
    > UBI: total number of reserved PEBs: 1006
    > UBI: number of PEBs reserved for bad PEB handling: 10
    > UBI: max/mean erase counter: 4/3
    > UBIFS: recovery needed
    > Error reading superblock on volume 'ubi:RootFS'!
    > UBIFS not mounted, use ubifs mount to mount volume first!
    > Wrong Image Format for bootm command
    > ERROR: can't get kernel image!
    >

    > Hence my question is: were there any radical changes in the UBI/UBIFS
    > code on the kernel side that make older code not like the new content
    > anymore?

    Not sure if there were radical changes, but please, enable UBIFS
    debugging and provide UBIFS messages. Here are some hints:
    http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubifs.html#L_how_send_bugreport

    --
    Best Regards,
    Artem Bityutskiy

      Last update: 2011-07-19 17:03    [W:0.026 / U:120.916 seconds]