SubjectRe: Dropped IRQ disables Radeon 3D
On Fri, 2011-07-15 at 08:20 +0000, Michael Witten wrote:

> Arnuschky wrote to me about this related Debian bug report:
>
> Fri, 2010-06-18 10:21:05 +0000
>
> I popped over to #radeon on freenode where user agd5f told me to
> try the following on the kernel command line:
>
> pci=nomsi
>
> After reading about MSIs and the requisite CONFIG_* settings, I
> realized that I didn't even have MSI support in the kernel anyway.
> Then agd5f suggested the following patches by Benjamin Herrenschmidt
> might be of help:

Another problem I noticed is some cards, when not using MSIs, still seem
to shoot an MSI with whatever value was last programmed into the MSI
configuration space. Can you check with lspci -vv if there's a non-0
value in there ? It -could- be that your get bogus MSIs.

Cheers,
Ben.

> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2011-July/012980.html
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2011-July/012981.html
>
> the latter of which fixes a syncronization bug on systems that use
> non-MSI IRQs (presumably pin-based IRQs) for the radeon device/driver.
>
> For my system, I decided to enable MSI/MSI-X support by building
> Linux with the following configuration variables set:
>
> CONFIG_PCI=y
> CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y
> CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y
> CONFIG_PCI_MSI=y
>
> and making sure I get the following:
>
> $ dmesg | grep MSI | grep radeon
> radeon 0000:01:00.0: irq 42 for MSI/MSI-X
> radeon 0000:01:00.0: radeon: using MSI.
>
> I'm not sure if this will avoid the problem, but it sure seems like
> a good bet.

  Last update: 2011-07-15 11:11    [W:0.053 / U:0.980 seconds]