    SubjectRe: pstore dump inside an nmi handler
    On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 02:40:13PM -0700, Luck, Tony wrote:
    > > Inside pstore_dump(), the first thing it tries to grab is a mutex_lock()
    > > (inside an nmi hander). This seems to be the root cause of my problems.
    >
    > Someone else pointed out that mutex_lock() is a problem here too. They
    > wondered whether spin_lock_irqsave() would work - or whether pstore
    > backends were allowed to sleep - to which I said I hoped they didn't,
    > but wasn't really sure what the future will hold.
    >
    > So ... ideas (and patches) are most welcome.

    I tested the spin_lock_irqsave thing on my one box where it was failing
    and got past my initial problem into kdump. So that is a positive and I
    can post the patch for that. Though it probably isn't a complete
    solution, it is better than a mutex.

    However, I have been scratching my head at a follow up problem, which is
    when I inject an error which produces an NMI->GHES->panic, the error
    record doesn't get stored under pstore (or maybe ERST too). I do see the
    ERST code follow all the correct steps in storing the kmsg_dump logs into
    the ERST table. Just on the reboot, when I mount pstore it isn't there.

    When I perform an 'echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger', it shows up on the
    reboot. Not sure what can be going wrong. I cc'd Ying with hopes he
    might have some thoughts.

    Cheers,
    Don

      Last update: 2011-07-11 23:57    [W:0.020 / U:91.120 seconds]