From: Mel Gorman [mailto:mgorman@suse.de]
Sent: den 2 juni 2011 13:02
To: Bertil Engelholm
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: PROBLEM: zone_reclaim is hanging high priority real time user pthreads

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 01:22:42PM +0200, Bertil Engelholm wrote:
> Thanx for the response. Since a few days back we have tried disabling
> the zone reclaim and the system behaves much better so that seems to
> be the short term solution we'll go for.

Good news.

> I also assume that if you have real time pthreads that are sensitive
> to stalls you might have to disable zone reclaim also in later kernels
> even though the zone reclaim implementation have been radically improved.

It'd be one possibility. However, I understand that at least one person is considering adding an additional level of watermarks that is dependant on the number of real-time threads in the system and their expected usage. The idea would be that latency sensitive applications would be allowed to use a number of pages between two watermarks were other users would wake kswapd or enter direct reclaim. I don't know where that currently stands though.

Thanks.

--
Mel Gorman
SUSE Labs

  Last update: 2011-06-08 08:55    [W:1.800 / U:0.004 seconds]