    SubjectRe: Status of function-sections work?
    On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 10:11:15AM +0200, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
    > On Monday 06 June 2011 03:15, Josh Triplett wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I found your work in 2010 on using function-sections and data-sections
    > > to eliminate unused code in the kernel. I'd like to make use of this
    > > work to try to build an extremely space-constrained kernel.
    > >
    > > It looks like a few of your patches made it into the kernel, but most of
    > > the linker script changes don't seem to have made it in. I wanted to
    > > find out the status of this work. Do you still have this working? Do
    > > you have versions of your patches for current Linux?
    > parisc uses ^ in some identifiers. Therefore we need something like
    > [A-Za-z0-9_$^]* in linker script. This wasn't working with GNU ld -
    > ^ is not a valid char for pattern. Use of more general [!.]*
    > was also impossible - ! is not a valid char too.
    > Therefore I asked binutils people to fix this (they agreed) and
    > decided to wait for a fixed binutils to be released.

    Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation and status.

    Do you know if the fix has gone into binutils, either in a release or
    the latest snapshot from version control? If not, does a patch exist?

    - Josh Triplett

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-06-07 10:47    [W:0.022 / U:6.676 seconds]