SubjectRe: immediately reboots/resets on EFI system
Hi Jim,

2011/6/3 Jim Bos <>:
> On 06/03/2011 03:33 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 03:05:26PM +0200, Jim Bos wrote:
>>> *,
>>> Just applied but my system: 64-bit SLackware, 8GB RAM, MSI mobo
>>> P67A-C45 bios V1.9. previously happily booting via EFI (nice to see
>>> Linux and the other OS actually NOT overwriting each others boot
>>> loaders!) immediately re-booted just after loading the kernel.
>>> Not even a single message is making it on the console, almost immediate
>>> system reset.  As I noticed there are several EFI related patches, I
>>> first tried to backout the change to setup.c but that didn't help so
>>> backing out all the efi changes in the patch, i.e. the files:
>>>  - arch/x86/kernel/setup.c
>>>  - arch/x86/platform/efi/efi.c
>>>  - arch/x86/platform/efi/efi_64.c
>>> and sure enough system is booting on with these changes removed.
>> Can you try just reverting
>> "x86, efi: Retain boot service code until after switching to virtual mode"
>> ? You've got 143 boot services/code regions, which is more than I'd
>> tested against, so I'm unsure whether we're overflowing something here.
> That's seems to be the only EFI patch in and I effectively
> removed by =not= applying (skipping) the parts of the patch to
> above 3 files.
> So yes removing "x86, efi: Retain boot service code until after
> switching to virtual mode" indeed fixes the problem for me.
Does manually applying commit 9cd2b07c1 fix things for
commit is: x86, efi: Consolidate EFI nx control

There will be 1 apply failure, need to change the call to
early_mapping_set_exec in early_runtime_code_mapping_set_exec to

  Last update: 2011-06-06 17:29    [W:0.126 / U:5.964 seconds]