    SubjectRe: [RFC 0/6] iommu: generic api migration and grouping
    Hi,

    On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 06:27:37PM -0400, Ohad Ben-Cohen wrote:
    > First stab at iommu consolidation:
    >
    > - Migrate OMAP's iommu driver to the generic iommu API. With this in hand,
    > users can now start using the generic iommu layer instead of calling
    > omap-specific iommu API.
    >
    > New code that requires functionality missing from the generic iommu api,
    > will add that functionality in the generic framework (e.g. adding framework
    > awareness to multi page sizes, supported by the underlying hardware, will
    > avoid the otherwise-inevitable code duplication when mapping a memory
    > region).

    The IOMMU-API already supports multiple page-sizes. See the
    'order'-parameter of the map/unmap functions.

    > Further generalizing of iovmm strongly depends on our broader plans for
    > providing a generic virtual memory manager and allocation framework
    > (which, as discussed, should be separated from a specific mapper).

    The generic vmm for DMA is called DMA-API :) Any reason for not using
    that (those reasons should be fixed)?

    > iovmm has a mainline user: omap3isp, and therefore must be maintained,
    > but new potential users will either have to generalize it, or come up
    > with a different generic framework that will replace it.

    Moving to the DMA-API should be considered here. If it is too much work
    iovmm can stay for a while, but the goal should be to get rid of it and
    only use the DMA-API.

    > - Create a dedicated iommu drivers folder (and put the base iommu code there)

    Very good idea.

    Joerg

    P.S.: Please also Cc the iommu-list (iommu@lists.linux-foundation.org)
    in the future for IOMMU related patches.

    --
    AMD Operating System Research Center

    Advanced Micro Devices GmbH Einsteinring 24 85609 Dornach
    General Managers: Alberto Bozzo, Andrew Bowd
    Registration: Dornach, Landkr. Muenchen; Registerger. Muenchen, HRB Nr. 43632

      Last update: 2011-06-06 12:11    [W:0.023 / U:29.284 seconds]