SubjectRe: [BUG 3.0.0-rc1] ksm: NULL pointer dereference in ksm_do_scan()
On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 10:06:14AM -0700, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jun 2011, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 10:29:39AM -0700, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> > > AndreaA, I didn't study the patch you posted half an hour ago,
> > > since by that time I'd worked it out and was preparing patch below.
> > > I think your patch would be for a different bug, hopefully one we
> > > don't have, it looks more complicated than we should need for this.
> >
> > I didn't expect two different bugs leading to double free.
>
> There wasn't a double free there, just failure to cope with race
> emptying the list, so accessing head when expecting a full entry.

Yes, we thought it was a double free initially because of two dead
pointers but we couldn't explain why mm was null so consistently.

> You'll see from the "beware" comment in scan_get_next_rmap_item()
> that this case is expected, that it sometimes reaches freeing the
> slots before the exiting task reaches __ksm_exit().
>
> That race should already be handled. I believe your patch is unnecessary,
> because get_mm_slot() is a hashlist lookup, and will return NULL once
> either end has done the hlist_del(&mm_slot->link).

Ok so that case is handled by get_mm_slot not succeeding. I see thanks
for the review.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans