SubjectRe: virtio scsi host draft specification, v3
On 06/29/2011 12:07 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:39:42AM +0100, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
>> I think we're missing a level of addressing. We need the ability to
>> talk to multiple target ports in order for "list target ports" to make
>> sense. Right now there is one implicit target that handles all
>> commands. That means there is one fixed I_T Nexus.
>>
>> If we introduce "list target ports" we also need a way to say "This
>> CDB is destined for target port #0". Then it is possible to enumerate
>> target ports and address targets independently of the LUN field in the
>> CDB.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure this is also how SAS and other transports work. In
>> their framing they include the target port.
>
> Yes, exactly. Hierachial LUNs are a nasty fringe feature that we should
> avoid as much as possible, that is for everything but IBM vSCSI which is
> braindead enough to force them.

Yep.

>> The question is whether we really need to support multiple targets on
>> a virtio-scsi adapter or not. If you are selectively mapping LUNs
>> that the guest may access, then multiple targets are not necessary.
>> If we want to do pass-through of the entire SCSI bus then we need
>> multiple targets but I'm not sure if there are other challenges like
>> dependencies on the transport (Fibre Channel, SAS, etc) which make it
>> impossible to pass through bus-level access?
>
> I don't think bus-level pass through is either easily possible nor
> desirable. What multiple targets are useful for is allowing more
> virtual disks than we have virtual PCI slots. We could do this by
> supporting multiple LUNs, but given that many SCSI ressources are
> target-based doing multiple targets most likely is the more scabale
> and more logical variant. E.g. we could much more easily have one
> virtqueue per target than per LUN.

The general idea here is that we can support NPIV.
With NPIV we'll have several scsi_hosts, each of which is assigned a
different set of LUNs by the array.
With virtio we need to able to react on LUN remapping on the array
side, ie we need to be able to issue a 'REPORT LUNS' command and
add/remove LUNs on the fly. This means we have to expose the
scsi_host in some way via virtio.
This is impossible with a one-to-one mapping between targets and
LUNs. The actual bus-level pass-through will be just on the SCSI
layer, ie 'REPORT LUNS' should be possible. If and how we do a LUN
remapping internally on the host is a totally different matter.
Same goes for the transport details; I doubt we will expose all the
dingy details of the various transports, but rather restrict
ourselves to an abstract transport.

Cheers,

Hannes
--