    SubjectRe: [patch 4/4] sched: Distangle worker accounting from rq->lock
    Hello, Thomas.

    The hooking place doesn't have anything to do with rq->lock. The
    problem with Peter's patch was preemption, not the lock.

    > There is also no harm from updating nr_running when the task returns
    > from scheduling instead of accounting it in the wakeup code.

    Well, not exactly. If CPU is being thrashed, we don't want to try to
    fire up new workers or calling in rescuers. If nr_running is bumped
    up from ttwu(), a woken up but not yet running worker already counts
    as running. With the suggested change, when we hit such heavy CPU
    thrashing, workqueue code will add things on top of it.

    Thanks.

    --
    tejun

    ©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans