SubjectRe: New Gentoo install on Intel Z68/i7-2600K system hangs after VFS:Mounted root...
From
On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 12:01 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 1:29 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>   We ran memtest86 for an hour. Completed a couple of passes with no
>>> errors. Will run more later but no obvious memory problems seen.
>>>
>>>   I installed 2.6.39-gentoo-r1. No change from 2.6.38-gentoo-r6.
>>> Stops at the same place.
>>>
>>>   I tried 2.6.39-gentoo-r1 with no kernel options, and with all
>>> combinations of nousb and acpi=off. All 4 attempts quit at the same
>>> place.
>>
>> Check out this forum post, this person's bootup seems to stop in the
>> same place as yours. He was able to fix it by booting off a liveCD and
>> manually creating device nodes. Maybe it's nothing, but probably worth
>> looking at just in case it might help.
>>
>> https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/gentoo-87/booting-stops-after-kernel-starts-883031/
>>

> Argh!! I remember a post like that on the Gentoo list. I'll check if
> out and give it a try.
>
> Thnaks,
> Mark

Thanks again Paul. That was exactly the solution I needed.

I remember this thread, or one like it, on the Gentoo-user list, but I
didn't follow the thread. I just remember that the Gentoo tarball was
not created correctly and these devices were left out. Adding them in
solved all the problem. Machine boots, we've updated @world and are
building KDE as I write this.

Thanks very much for your help.

Cheers,