SubjectRe: [patch 0/8] mm: memcg naturalization -rc2
On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 11:47:04AM +0200, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Wed 01-06-11 08:25:11, Johannes Weiner wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > this is the second version of the memcg naturalization series. The
> > notable changes since the first submission are:
> >
> > o the hierarchy walk is now intermittent and will abort and
> > remember the last scanned child after sc->nr_to_reclaim pages
> > have been reclaimed during the walk in one zone (Rik)
> >
> > o the global lru lists are never scanned when memcg is enabled
> > after #2 'memcg-aware global reclaim', which makes this patch
> > self-sufficient and complete without requiring the per-memcg lru
> > lists to be exclusive (Michal)
> >
> > o renamed sc->memcg and sc->current_memcg to sc->target_mem_cgroup
> > and sc->mem_cgroup and fixed their documentation, I hope this is
> > better understandable now (Rik)
> >
> > o the reclaim statistic counters have been renamed. there is no
> > more distinction between 'pgfree' and 'pgsteal', it is now
> > 'pgreclaim' in both cases; 'kswapd' has been replaced by
> > 'background'
> >
> > o fixed a nasty crash in the hierarchical soft limit check that
> > happened during global reclaim in memcgs that are hierarchical
> > but have no hierarchical parents themselves
> >
> > o properly implemented the memcg-aware unevictable page rescue
> > scanner, there were several blatant bugs in there
> >
> > o documentation on new public interfaces
> >
> > Thanks for your input on the first version.
>
> I have finally got through the whole series, sorry that it took so long,
> and I have to say that I like it. There is just one issue I can see that
> was already discussed by you and Ying regarding further soft reclaim
> enhancement. I think it will be much better if that one comes as a
> separate patch though.

People have been arguing in both directions. I share the sentiment
that that the soft limit rework is a separate thing, though, and will
make this series purely about the exclusive per-memcg lru lists.

Once this is done, the soft limit stuff should follow immediately.

> So thank you for this work and I am looking forward for a new version.
> I will try to give it some testing as well.

Thanks for your input and testing!

  Last update: 2011-06-13 12:37    [W:0.476 / U:0.596 seconds]