SubjectRe: long delay when using HMDI output on RS780
Date
On May 9, 2011, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> On May 9, 2011, Jerome Glisse wrote:
> > On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Thomas Fjellstrom <thomas@fjellstrom.ca>
>
> wrote:

> > > I've been playing around with it more, and got it to not blank the
> > > screen after KMS init, /once/. So far no luck repeating that success.
> > >
> > > I've tried late, and early kms init, and currently have the radeon
> > > module and firmware compiled into the kernel. Boot times at least are
> > > fairly decent, about 8-10s till X starts, but about 25-35s till
> > > anything shows up.
> > >
> > > Some strangeness, I have the kernel set to force the hdmi output to on,
> > > with a very specific mode, that X tends to like, the vga port is forced
> > > disabled. X is set to ignore EDID, and also set to that specific mode
> > > that it tends to auto set itself. Regardless X still wants to pause for
> > > 7s 2-3 times while processing EDID info.
> > >
> > > I've attached the new dmesg and xorg logs from the latest attempts.
> > >
> > > Note, this only happens with KMS, with HDMI. disabling KMS, or using
> > > DVI makes the problem go away. Even grub's own graphical mode works
> > > fine, its only once KMS inits that things go bad, and its not till
> > > after X is up for a few seconds that something displays on my screen.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Thomas Fjellstrom
> > > thomas@fjellstrom.ca
> >
> > Please boot with drm.debug=4 and attach dmesg it should be more
> > verbose. You might also want to try booting with radeon.audio=0
>
> Hi, attached both one with just drm.debug=4, and one with that and
> radeon.audio=0.
>
> Now, I'm guessing its a bug in my monitor claiming it can do HDMI audio? As
> setting radeon.audio=0 seems to have fixed the blanking problem. And the
> dmesg logs seem to claim that radeon thinks it can do HDMI audio.
>
> It also seems to be ignoring the mode I've requested via the video= param.
> It at least sees that I want it forced enabled, but claims its 0x0? Or at
> least it seems its picking the preferred mode.
>
> Still have X blocking for up to 14s though.
>
> Theres also a bunch of repeated log messages from drm now, every second
> about it seems to spam the following lines: (the last one is repeated a
> bunch of times, with FB:44 or FB:42)
>
> [ 31.330033] [drm:output_poll_execute], [CONNECTOR:13:VGA-1] status
> updated from 2 to 2
> [ 31.435455] [drm:radeon_atombios_connected_scratch_regs], DFP1 connected
> [ 31.435463] [drm:output_poll_execute], [CONNECTOR:15:HDMI-A-1] status
> updated from 1 to 1
> [ 31.437391] [drm:drm_mode_addfb], [FB:42]
>
> > Cheers,
> > Jerome

Ok, a bit more news. My monitor does indeed support audio, at least it has
volume buttons, so I assume it has speakers, and should support HDMI audio (I
have never used it though).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
thomas@fjellstrom.ca

  Last update: 2011-05-09 23:07    [W:0.059 / U:0.224 seconds]