    SubjectRe: [lm-sensors] [RFC 5/5] hwmon: add support for Technologic Systems TS-5500 A-D converter
    On 05/03/11 16:55, Vivien Didelot wrote:
    > Hi Guenter,
    >
    > Excerpts from Guenter Roeck's message of 2011-04-29 23:39:38 -0400:
    >> Hi Vivien,
    >>
    >> The headline and file name are a bit misleading, since the driver is really
    >> for MAX197 on a TS-5500 board.
    >>
    >> You should split the driver into two parts, a generic driver
    >> for the MAX197 and a platform driver (residing somewhere in arch/
    >> or possibly drivers/platform/) to instantiate it.
    >>
    >> There should be a platform data include file, probably in
    >> include/linux/platform_data/.
    >>
    >> .ioaddr in platform data should not be necessary. The driver's probe
    >> function should get the values using platform_get_resource().
    >>
    >> Having said that, from reading the code it looks like the chip is not really
    >> used for hardware monitoring, but for generic ADC functionality. A quick look
    >> into the TS-5500 user manual confirms this. So this should not be a hwmon
    >> driver in the first place, but a generic ADC driver. Given the ADC conversion rate
    >> of the MAX197, the hwmon ABI is not optimal anyway. You should move this driver
    >> into the iio subsystem, probably to drivers/staging/iio/adc. Copying the iio
    >> mailing list for input.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Guenter
    >
    > I've took a closer look to the manual and that's right, in fact the
    > driver doesn't talk to the MAX197 directly. The board uses a CPLD to
    > abstract the interface to the MAX197. So all the MAX197 logic is hidden
    > by the CPLD. Therefore, the driver files should probably not have
    > function and structure names with a "max197_" prefix. I'll make the code
    > a bit clearer. What do you think?
    >
    > Ok for iio subsystem, several ADC drivers are in drivers/hwmon/ but
    > drivers/staging/iio/adc seems to be the good place now.
    Just as a heads up, beware there are a few abi changes (and a lot of core
    ones) working their way through review /already in staging-next.
    I only mention it because merges against that tree will go through staging-next
    and as it's name suggests is sometimes a fast moving target!

    Jonathan