    SubjectRe: [block IO crash] Re: 2.6.39-rc5-git2 boot crashs
    On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 8:00 AM, Christoph Lameter <cl@linux.com> wrote:

    > Right there is only the tid management that is added. Hope I am fast
    > enough to at least get one patch in (not very well tested):

    So the thing that worries me about this is non-x86 architectures.

    Have we verified that the generic routines are ok for all
    architectures? Has somebody checked the memory barriers in particular?
    Things that work on x86 may not work on non-x86. Everything should be
    per-cpu _except_ for the initialization, I think, but that should be
    double-checked.

    I guess the initialization happens so early that we don't really need
    to worry about it, but I'd still like somebody to really double- and
    triple-check it for me.

    My gut reaction would be: let's do the minimal patch that just fixes
    things to do irqsafe_cpu_cmpxchg_double() for 2.6.39, and then let's
    remove the #ifdef'fery in -rc1. Or make _really_ sure that things are
    ok for platforms that never even triggered the CMPXCHG_LOCAL case
    before.

    Hmm?

    Linus

      Last update: 2011-05-04 17:17    [W:0.024 / U:1.712 seconds]